Who is the course for?
The course was developed for finance professionals who want to learn and apply the skills needed for business valuation. Students learn valuation theory and build a financial model from zero in Excel. Course and material in English. The course is certified for Continuing Professional Education by the Brazilian Federation of Accountants and participants receive a certificate.
Understanding business valuation can ensure a competitive advantage in many areas. Having a good domain of business valuation and financial modelling is especially useful for professionals in the following areas:
- Large companies: to evaluate potential acquisitions, to account for an acquisition, to perform impairment tests.
- Equity research: for sell-side and buy-side analysts to be able to forecast the performance of the companies they are researching.
- M&A investment, equity and debt: to help, for example, price the issuance of debt or equity.
- Portfolio management in banks and funds: to understand the impact of changes in the economy or industry on portfolio performance, and to make investment decisions based on that.
- Private equity: to help you choose investments and structure the ideal financing for the purchase of the company.
- Consulting: to help understand and propose strategies for client companies.
- Accounting: to make decisions related to financing and investment.
- Private banking: to choose the best investments for customers.
- Professional assessment: to evaluate the intangible assets of a company (brand, customer relationship, technology, among others).
The ability to create and understand valuation models is known to be one of the most valued skills in the business world. The business valuation market in Brazil has been growing in the last 10 years after the implementation of IFRS, but there is a lack of qualified professionals in the market, so proper training should give professionals a significant career boost. The Certified Business Valuation and Financial Modeling course is based on a practical valuation case study of a company. The knowledge gained will be useful in any work that needs a better understanding of the performance of a company or other investment. The program will help you:
- Learn how a company’s value is calculated using Market, Income & Cost approaches, including how to make projections and calculate the discount rate (Income approach) and use multiples (Market approach).
- Know how to apply financial modeling in practice and build a comprehensive financial model.
- Understand the basic concepts of valuation theory.
- Prove your commitment to your professional development.
- Windows laptop for financial modelling.
- Advanced English.
- Basic knowledge of accounting and Microsoft Excel will enable course participants to get more from the course.
O curso de business valuation e modelagem financeira foi ótimo. Não apenas trabalhou nos conceitos teóricos do valuation, como também o aplicou de forma prática, em planilhas excel que certamente funcionarão como modelo e futuras referências quando eventuais dúvidas surgirem. O instrutor conseguiu aliar seus conhecimentos e experiência no assunto com uma abordagem clara e didática, deixando uma excelente impressão da SHP.
Ruben Doege, Analista Econômico-Financeiro
The course covers both theory and practice, giving students the opportunity to build a valuation model from zero in Excel, following a 4-step approach:
- Gather information
- Build model
- Analyse results
- Create presentation & Present results
The course covers all of the basics you need to know to perform a business valuation and how to overcome some of the challenges that you are likely to face in the real world, for example regarding data availability:
- Understand going concern and liquidation value, fair value, investment value and intrinsic value.
- Apply control and marketability premiums and discounts.
- Know how value can be calculated using the three approaches to valuation: Market (multiples), Income (including calculation of discount rate, projected cash flows and terminal value) and Cost.
- Understand the difference between Enterprise Value and Equity Value (FCFF, FCFE).
- Understand the procedures necessary to ensure the robustness of a valuation.
- Comply with applicable laws and regulations when preparing valuation reports.
Students receive printed slide packs with the course slides and the instructor version of the valuation model built during class at the end of the course. Students also receive a certificate at the end of the course.
The course draws on the financial modeling books Building Financial Models by John S. Tjia and Practical Financial Modeling by Jonathan Swan and the valuation concepts developed by the following authors (among others): Damodaran, Koller, Copeland, Titman, Pratt and Grabowsky.
See links to three introductory articles from our academic coordinator and founder, Susan Hawkins, CFA, which you may find useful:
- Como é feita a avaliação do valor de uma empresa?
- O que é Business Valuation?
- Na Prática explica: modelagem financeira, habilidade essencial para carreira em negócios.
Susan Hawkins, CFA, is the founder of SHP and the course coordinator. She has 5 years of full-time training experience and 10 years of professional experience at EY in the United Kingdom and Brazil and at the Bank of England (UK Central Bank) in internal and external assurance, contingency planning for financial institutions and business valuation. She has an undergraduate degree in Economics and Management from the University of Oxford in the United Kingdom, she is a CFA Charterholder and a member of the CFA Society Brazil. She qualified as a Chartered Accountant with ICAS (Institute of Chartered Accountants of Scotland) and has passed the American Society of Appraisers ASA 1 and ASA 2 exams.
All tutors are valuation professionals and are accredited as teachers through the SHP Financial Training Academy.